Monday, May 02, 2011

The View from the Bridge

I must confess to being an involuntary river-gazer! I can never resist peering over the parapet of any bridge that I walk over - and I don't appear to being the only one.  I can't tell why others do it but I know that one of the reasons apart from fish spotting is just the fascination that rivers have for me. Whether it's a slow moving canal or a roaring torrent I can't resist - although the sight of a good flow in sunshine is perfect.

I grew up in the Mid Wales town of Brecon which had three river bridges. the main one on the Usk, a small one nearby over the Honddu where it joins the Usk and one over the Tarell. At certain times of the year it was common knowledge that to see certain well know locals staring over the bridges was a sure sign that salmon were either in the river or expected very shortly. I recall one occasion when I was working near the Tarell bridge there was great interest being shown in a pool just above the bridge. Curiosity getting the better of me I walked up to the bridge to see what was so interesting. The river was low and two large salmon were lying practically motionless in the pool awaiting the arrival of some fresh water before being able to make their way upstream. It was soon obvious that the temptation was far too great for one local character and after a brief exhortation to all present to keep a sharp look-out (by this time there must have been about ten people on the bridge) a gaff hook was magically produced from an inside pocket and quickly lashed to a stick cut out of the hedge. In what seemed no time at all the two salmon were lying on the bank and the next minute had vanished into a bag on the back of a bike which also promptly disappeared. The whole thing was so slick that the assembled company broke out into spontaneous applause and cheers.



But more vividly I also recall a morning in late summer standing on the Usk bridge. Mist had formed over the river overnight but the sun was beginning to burn it away. Looking upstream the scene was brilliant, not a hint of mist. Downstream looking East the mist hung over the river in curtains and the rising sun behind the curtain gave the mist a backlit ethereal glow.

Thinking about that today it's a kind of metaphor for the present. Upstream, in the past are 64 years and 364 days of my life, for tomorrow is my 65th birthday. Downstream the future is shrouded in mist but though the detail is unclear yet there is a growing light which guarantees that ultimately the sun will break through in all its glory. In one respect this birthday is no different to any other, neither is tomorrow any different to any other day - I am always on this bridge. However, if I'm honest as I grow older I do gaze a lot more upstream than I used to. There are more times when the traffic on the bridge and others on it seem less absorbing than the view upstream - but that is only temporary. For here, now in the present there is so much to rejoice in and to give thanks for. Like God's people of old, here I raise my Ebenezer stone - hitherto hath the Lord helped me - and look downstream with the confidence that the future is in safe hands - thank God they're not mine. So the song from the bridge today is simply this -

Pardon for sin
And a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence
To cheer and to guide
Strength for today
And bright hope for tomorrow
Blessings all mine
With ten thousand beside
Great is Thy faithfulness
Morning by morning new mercies I see
All I have needed They hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness Lord unto me

No comments: